Happy Anniversary Island King

Twenty one years ago I was working in the ER of a local hospital. I worked the night shift and late one night we got a call that an ambulance was bringing in a heart attack victim.

The ambulance pulled up and as the EMT wheeled the stretcher in I saw that the paramedic was up on the stretcher, straddling the patient and doing CPR.

As they ran past me the paramedic looked up and flashed me a huge smile - and never missed a beat in the CPR routine.

And my heart stopped. I knew most of the EMS crew but I'd never seen this guy before.
He was gorgeous! And that smile was incredible.

I was friends with Danny, the EMT, and so as soon as they got the patient settled into the ER I pulled him aside and asked who the paramedic was.

Danny told me that he worked in the next county over and had just started working part time in our county. He laughed and said that the Island King had just asked the same question about me.

The Island King was in the break room doing his paperwork and of course I suddenly needed a cup of coffee so I wandered back there, trying to act casual.

We said hello and he was introducing himself when the the ER doc came in and congratulated him, saying that they'd stabilized the patient and that he was going to recover.

Wow. He's gorgeous, he's good at his job and he has a killer smile.

Needless to say I was hooked.

He called me the next night and we talked for hours. It was amazing how much we had in common. We talked every night for the next week and the more I talked to him the more I liked him.

The next weekend a bunch of people from the hospital were supposed to go out and I invited the Island King along.

The day came and my phone started ringing off the hook with people cancelling. I didn't know until later that they all thought the Island King and I would hit it off and wanted us to go out alone.

I was nervous but went anyway and ended up having a really good time.

We went out the next night and the night after that and have been together ever since.

We lived together for 5 years and then were married on May 8, 1993.

We got married on the Glass Bottom Boat on Crab Island, just inside the Destin Pass.








It was a beautiful sunset wedding with family and friends and I often think of that day when we watch the sun set over the Pass.

We've had our ups and downs over the years but he truly is my soulmate and if given the chance I would do it all over again.

Labels: