A Visit From A Raccoon

Yesterday I was sitting outside enjoying my usual afternoon cup of coffee when all of a sudden I saw something move out of the corner of my eye.

I looked over and scurrying across the yard was a raccoon!

We have lots of opossums around here but I don't think I've ever seen a raccoon here in the yard before.

He was aiming for this palm tree.


I grabbed the camera and the Island King was able to get a picture of his tail as he climbed up into the tree.


Once he was safely up in the tree he turned around and watched us for a while.


He stayed up in the tree for a long time and then slowly climbed back down.

Just as he reached the ground, he and our Rat Terrier, Jake, spotted each other and the coon took off around the corner of our neighbor's house.


Jake was right on his tail and I stood there praying that the dog wouldn't catch the raccoon because that coon would have ripped Jake to shreds.

And of course, Buddy the Beagle spotted him too.


Buddy went absolutely nuts, barking and tugging at his leash. If he'd have been loose I'm sure he would have caught the raccoon - which probably wouldn't have worked out so well for Buddy because raccoons can be vicious critters when they're cornered.

I don't know if he'll be back or not but it sure was fun watching a raccoon stroll across my yard in broad daylight LOL

Labels: