What Kind Of Moth Is This?

I was standing in the garage this morning when something flew in the door and landed on the wall. Something big.



This moth is just a little over 6 inches long and is 2 and 3/4 inches wide.

I have never in my life seen a moth this big and for a minute I convinced myself it was a bat.

The Island King came to see what I was talking about and he agrees this is by far the biggest moth he's ever seen.

Are these moths common around here? It's hard to believe they live around here and I've never noticed them. Maybe I saw them flying and thought they were birds?

Do any of you know what kind of moth this is?

And when will it leave my garage? The door has been open all day and all evening and he doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

It's kind of creepy, him hanging there on the wall like that.

Labels: