Enough Already!


This cold weather has GOT to stop. Day after day of freezing temperatures is not something this Florida girl can handle.

I don't mind the normal cold snaps we get here in northwest Florida. In fact, I enjoy bundling up, building a big fire and spending a day or two staying cozy on the couch.

But this is ridiculous!

Our "cold snap" isn't going away. And it just keeps getting colder.

It's so cold here that even the snowbirds are bundled up. Which is extremely unusual. They normally wander around in shorts and polo shirts while the locals all have on winter coats.

Not today. Today they look like they're wearing clothes from home - and they don't look too happy about having "wintered" somewhere this cold.

And as for clothes? You can't buy clothes for this kind of weather here. Sure, our stores have coats and long johns but it's all lightweight stuff. Bass Pro Shop has some good warm stuff but it's hard to find a cammo coat that looks good with church clothes.

Instead, I'm sporting the bag lady look. I've been wearing all of the warm clothes I own at once. Layers and layers of long johns, sweatshirts, jackets and coats. So many clothes that I feel like the little brother in A Christmas Story who can't put his arms down once he's got his outside clothes on.

The Island Girl and I were going into Barnes and Nobles the other night and as we walked up to the door I got a good look at my reflection in the glass door and I was truly a sight.

I looked like the marshmellow man from Ghostbusters.

And didn't care. Because it's DAMN cold outside.

To make matters worse, we didn't get any snow. Somehow, snow would make this cold a little more tolerable.

We had a chance for snow the other night but all we got was sleet. The kids slept in shifts so someone would be able to sit by the window, waiting and watching for the slightest hint of snow.

Didn't happen.

They were disappointed but have discovered icicles and are finding them all over the neighborhood.

At 1:00 in the afternoon.

Shouldn't it have warmed up enough to melt icicles by mid afternoon?

Apparently not.




I hope it warms up soon - I'm starting to feel a little cabin fever coming on and I don't have an extra freezer to shoot 6 holes in.

Labels: