It's A Good Thing I'm Not Superstitious

New Year's Eve I was driving home from the grocery store right before dark and as I drove down Main Street I could see a solid black cat running down a driveway right towards the road. As I got closer, that cat ran straight across the road in front of my car and up into the driveway across the street.

A black cat crossed my path on New Year's Eve. Not only the Eve of a new year but of a new decade.

Are you kidding me?

How often does a black cat actually cross someone's path? I can't remember the last time I even saw a solid black cat.

And then I started laughing. Because a black cat crossing my path on New Year's Eve is the kind of thing that happens to me. All of the time.

After I stopped laughing my next thought was "I'm so glad I'm not superstitious - something like this could really mess a person up!"

When I got home I was curious so I did a google search about black cats and found that only in America are they considered bad luck.

In Europe, a black cat crossing your path means wealth and good fortune are coming your way and if a black cat enters your home you are considered blessed.

In Egypt a black cat was thought to bring you good luck.

In India black cats are believed to bring much needed rain.

It was the Puritans who connected black cats with witchcraft and evil, thus leading to the belief that a black cat crossing your path would bring nothing but bad luck.

So I've decided to take the European approach and believe that I will have a wealthy, blessed New Year.

After all, I have a bit of European blood passed down from my ancestors and frankly those Puritans were a little on the strange side.

Labels: