Who Are You Calling Grandma?

I was in the Dollar Store one night right before Christmas picking up some stocking stuffers for the kids.

I got to the checkout line and as I was waiting my turn the young guy behind me points at my basket and says

"You must be getting ready for the grandkids to come"

WHAT?!!

Without thinking I whirled around and said "I am NOT a grandmother! This stuff is for MY children!"

The poor guy looked like he just wanted a big hole to open up and swallow him and he stammered around for a minute, apologizing and trying to backtrack.

Which I thought was funny so I laughed and told him not to worry about it - that technically I am old enough to be a grandmother - but that I'm not yet.

He was still really embarrassed and told me that this happens to him all of the time because he "never knows what to say to women."

"Calling women grandma should go to the top of your what NOT to say list" I told him.

The worst part of the story is that when I got home and told my family what had happened the Island King laughed until he cried and still hasn't stopped calling me grandma.

The Island Girl just shook her head and said "I've been telling you to wash that gray out of your hair for a while now."

She may be right.

Labels: