Who Wrote That?

Our church has always provided meeting space for our local Boy Scouts. They generously share the church van and trailer for the scouts to use on camping trips and offer a lot of support to the boys.

So one Sunday a year they have Scout Sunday where all scouts (boys and girls) are invited to the Sunday service. The scouts present the flag, lead the congregation in the Pledge of Allegiance and then our Pastor spends a few minutes praising them for their hard work and dedication.

This past Sunday was Scout Sunday and as we were sitting there the Island King handed me the church program and pointed to something at the bottom of the page.

Written there were the Boy and Girl scout promises.

The Boy Scout Oath reads:
On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout law. To help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Girl Scout Oath reads:
On my honor, I will try to serve God and my country, to help people at all times and to live by the Girl Scout law.

Do you see what I see?

The boy scouts will do their best to do their duty to God and country but the girl scouts only have to try to do the same?

Seriously? What is that about?

The Island King was snickering and once the service was over laughed and said that the boys are expected to do their best but the girls only have to try.

The Oldest Island Boy chimed in and said that's because boys are easily able to do their best but that girls have to try a lot harder.

Which sent the Island Girl and I into a fit of laughter.

Because everyone knows girls are better at doing their best while boys are the ones who have to try much harder.

Obviously both scout promises were written by men LOL

Labels: