What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Every year we go with the Cub Scouts to Fam Camp.

It's a fun weekend of camping, BB gun shooting, archery and playing in the woods and we always have a good time.

A few months ago the word went out that our Pack needed someone to organize our Fam Camp trip this year and in a true "What were we thinking" moment the Island King and I agreed to handle it.

It sounds simple enough. Collect everyone's registration form, plan a menu, shop for the food and cook it all once we get there.

But - why is there always a but? - We had a new scout drive at the beginning of the school year and our pack doubled in size. Which is a great thing.

Only we didn't know the pack would double in size when we agreed to handle Fam Camp and now we have 105 people going.

105!

105 people to feed. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. On a budget of $5 per person.

105.

That's 210 ten eggs for breakfast!

I feel like I'm in the middle of a Top Chef challenge.

We've got 105 people, three meals to prepare and $525 to make it happen.

And the twist is we'll be doing all of this on a grill in the woods.

AAAHHHHH!!!

Just to be clear though - I won't be doing the cooking. Because if you've read this blog you know that I don't exactly excell in the cooking department.

Fortunately for our 105 unsuspecting campers the Island King does. He's a master on the grill and cooking in the woods is his specialty.

We're keeping the menu simple:
Eggs, Sausage and Toast for breakfast
Turkey or PB&J sandwiches, chips, apples and cookies for lunch
Hamburgers, hot dogs and baked beans for supper.
I'm asking for volunteers to bring some desert items (cookies, brownies, etc)

The actual cooking part will be the easiest. There will be a LOT of hands to help so that doesn't scare me but figuring out how much food to buy is driving me crazy.

I want everyone to have enough but at the same time I can't just put out an endless spread.

Do I cook 105 burgers and 105 hot dogs? Do I need enough for 105 turkey and 105 PB&J sandwiches? How much will each person eat?

I've been all over the internet looking at catering sites and trying to figure out the best way to estimate all of this.

And I can't imagine what a shopping trip for this much food is going to look like.
The Island King and his brother will be going with me which may or may not be a good thing.

Either way I'm sure it will be interesting.

Wish me luck with all of this and if any of you have any tips for me I'd love to hear them!

Labels: