Who Knew That Could Happen to a Dryer

After telling tales about the Oldest Island Boy I decided I should tell one on the Youngest – just to be fair.

When the Youngest was 4 my dryer stopped working.

I put a load of clothes in, came back later and they were still wet and had soured really bad.

They had only been in there about 30 minutes so I was wondering why they were sour more than why they were wet.

I ran the dryer again and they still weren't dry and were even more sour.

The dryer was hot and the tub was spinning so we decided the vent must be clogged. We got busy that day and didn't mess with it until 2 days later when the laundry pile got too high to step over.

The Island King pulled the dryer out to unclog the vent and then I heard him just a cussing and yelling for a bucket.

As I hand him the bucket I see what the problem is.

We were correct in our clogged vent diagnosis but could never have imagined what we found.

The Youngest had taken the garden hose, shoved it in the outside dryer vent hole and then turned the hose on and filled my entire dryer vent up with water.

The tube was full of water and there was about 3 inches of water standing in the bottom of the dryer.

I had to go buy a new hose and then we had to use the shop vac to suck the water out of the dryer. And it took about 3 days to get the sour smell to go away.

It wasn’t anywhere near as painful as a fork to the eye but it was a pain in the behind and just as unexpected.

Labels: