Conquering the Shotgun


I have always loved target shooting and shooting different kinds of guns - except for shotguns.

The first time I ever shot a shotgun I was with an A$$ who thought it would be funny to tell me to hold the gun lightly and just barely let it touch my shoulder when I fired.

Needless to say, I ended up on the ground with an almost dislocated shoulder and a bruise on my jaw that looked like someone had hit me with a board.

I’ve been scared of shotguns ever since.

Since then I’ve shot them with the Island King and my Dad, but only once or twice, and I still always hurt my shoulder.

Not long ago I decided that I did not want to be scared of them anymore. If my 11 year old can shoot one and not cry I should be able to as well.

So this past weekend at Tower Camp I told the Island King that I wanted to learn to shoot a shotgun without being afraid of it.

He spent a lot of time working with me and it turns out that I’ve been tucking the gun into the wrong spot on my shoulder, which explains why it’s painful for me to shoot but not for my kids.

Once we got the gun positioned right on my shoulder and I started shooting all of my fear was gone.

I have no bruises, no sore shoulder and I actually hit the targets I was aiming at.

Now that I’ve conquered my fear of shotguns I’m ready to try skeet shooting. I probably won’t be able to hit them but it will be fun to try. 

Labels: