The Island King is Down


Sunday afternoon Buddy the Beagle got out the front door and took off running. The Island King caught him in the driveway, picked him up and took him back inside.

But as he was about to put Buddy down, he tripped and started to fall.

Which freaked Buddy out and somehow, in the chaos, Buddy chomped down on the Island King’s hand.

It bled a little but he said that it felt more like his finger had been broken by Buddy’s jaws.

It hurt that night and on Monday it was swollen and still hurting.

The man refuses to go to the doctor for anything so he complained about it hurting but didn’t want to go to the doctor.

Tuesday morning the pain woke him up and his hand was the size of a cantaloupe.

He decided that he had a broken finger and that if he went to the doctor he would have to pay a lot of money to hear that he had a broken finger and for them to splint it. Which he didn’t want to do.

But as the day wore on, the pain got worse and he started feeling queasy – which he believed was from pain.

He called his mother to get a couple of her anti-inflammatory pills and we headed to her house.

About 2 miles out he told me to pull over and then proceeded to throw up in a parking lot.

Now I’m not a doctor but this man never throws up and if he’s throwing up that means he’s either in SEVERE pain or he’s infected.

Me saying, “We’re going to the ER” started to cause a fight but I looked him right in the eye and told him this was non-negotiable.

“So if I don’t go you’re going to be a raging b!tch, aren’t you?”

“That doesn’t even begin to describe what I’m going to be if we sit here arguing about this any longer”

At which point I put the truck in drive and took the man to the ER.


Turns out, the bone isn’t broken but he’s got a massive infection. They gave him two different kinds of antibiotics, some pain meds and off we went.

But, while we were in the ER…

The registration woman comes into the room, sits down and asks his name. The very next question was “Do I have your permission to speak freely in front of your guest?” Meaning me.

He told her yes and she then said I see that you’re married

And before she could continue I looked at the Island King and said “You’re married?!”

I said it in a shocked voice and it came out a bit louder and more forceful than I intended.

That poor woman’s head whipped around, her mouth dropped open and she came extremely close to falling off the little stool she was sitting on.

I looked at the Island King but the poor man was in so much pain that he just glared at me.

I laughed and apologized to the woman who, thankfully, was a good sport about it.

Later that night after the antibiotics and the pain meds kicked in he said “Now that I think about it, that was funny as hell but at the time I just wanted my hand to stop hurting.”

That’s ok babe. I’m sure she’s not the last person  I’ll poke and you can join in next time. 

Labels: