Destin's Blessing of the Fleet 2013


May 9th was Destin’s 56th Annual Blessing of the Fleet, which is one of my favorite days of the year.




The event starts with a tent service on the dock




And then clergy from all of the churches in town proceed down the docks to a waiting barge.


This year was extra special to us because the Youngest Island Boy was honored to be asked to lead the processional.





We followed them down the dock and ran into an old friend, who invited us aboard the Anastasia, his family’s boat.

Lucky for us the Anastasia is docked next to the barge the clergy are on so we had a front seat view for the Blessing.


The Blessing begins with the Destin


and Niceville Fire Dept boats. 










 















After the last boat came by several of the pastors came aboard the Anastasia and blessed the Davis family


After the Blessing there was a huge fish fry 

I meant to take pictures of the food but I was so hungry I got my plate, sat down, dove into my grouper and didn't come up again until my plate was empty. 

The Blessing of the Fleet is an amazing, moving experience. If you are ever in Destin on the first Thursday of May go straight to the harbor. You won't be disappointed. 


Labels: