Shootin' Pool

Last night the Island King and I were sitting in the office when the Island Girl came in to say that she was going out with some friends to shoot pool.

She immediately followed that by saying “I’ve never played pool so I don’t know how this will go.”

Honey, you have come to the right place. My parents had a pool table in their house from the time I was about 9 until long after I grew up and moved out.

Playing pool is something I know how to do.

So I started telling her some stuff but since she’s never played, she really had no idea what I was talking about.

Jimmy said it best when he said “don’t try to describe a KISS concert if you haven’t seen it” so I suggested we run up to the one and only pool hall in town and play a few games before she met up with her friends.

She loved the idea and we were out the door before the Island King even realized what was happening.

It was really strange walking into a bar with my daughter, ordering a beer and a coke and then heading over to the pool tables. I’m not sure how it’s possible for me to even have a kid who’s old enough to be in a bar/pool hall.

We had the place to ourselves and we spent a while working on the basics.


It wasn’t long before she got the hang of it and it turns out my girl has the potential to be really good at it.

She beat me on the last game and I wish I had a picture of the grin on her face when that 8 ball rolled into the pocket.

We had such a good time that she invited me to come out with her and her friends – which has never happened.

I passed this time but will definitely go with them another night.

She’s in love with the game and we now have a standing date to go shoot pool once a week.


We might even let the Island King come with us every once in a while. 

Labels: