Supper's Ready - Sort Of

Having me for a mom has taught my kids that dinner isn't ready until the smoke detector goes off but it's always funny when a new kid is around at dinner time.

We cooked chicken on the grill last night and I put some broccoli in a steamer on the stove. I turned the stove on and then told myself at least 10 times not to forget about it.

About half an hour later I was sitting outside talking to the Island King while he grilled when the smoke detector went off.

My kids showed up thinking supper was ready but the boy hanging out with the Oldest Island Boy did what any normal person does when the smoke detector goes off and headed outside.

He was quite surprised to find out that the smoke, the smoke detector going off and the horrible burnt smell is a normal occurrence around here.

The broccoli was toast and my best pot is now burnt



Because this is not a new thing, the Island King has a sander just for sanding my pots.

This happened to a small pot a few nights ago



I put them on his workbench and he'll sand the burnt off and return them to the kitchen.

This is why it's important to have good quality pots and pans – just can't sand the burnt off the cheap ones as easily.

The Oldest's friend asked how we would know the house was really on fire if we disregard the smoke detector and I told him we're still working on that.

In the mean time – I handed him a knife and told him to scrape the burnt parts off of his garlic bread and that there would be no broccoli tonight.

Because that's how we do dinner here at Burnt Eddy's!

Labels: