Cruising the Intracoastal Waterway Between Destin and Pensacola

My Mom's birthday fell on Memorial Day weekend this year and considering the traffic nightmare in every town between Destin and Gulf Breeze she called and told everyone to wait and come see her the next weekend instead of fighting traffic.

Sunday was the day and after thinking about it I decided we should go by boat. It's been MANY years since I've traveled the Intracoastal Waterway between Destin and Pensacola so it sounded like a good plan.

We mapped it out and figured it to be about 44 miles between my house and theirs and since we cruise at about 20 mph thought it would take us between 2 ½ and 3 hours to get there.

Sunday morning we loaded the boat and off we went.

We set a timer, left the dock




and out into Choctawhatchee Bay we went.


I looked over at the cars driving across Okaloosa Island and decided this really is more fun. 


I love our little boat but this boat is nice too.


Coming up on Brooks Bridge aka Okaloosa Island Bridge.


This kind of traffic I don't mind at all.


The birds were enjoying the day as much as I was. 


I saw this man and immediately thought of Roger - the mayor of Innerarity Point. 


Out of Choctawhatchee Bay and into the Narrows we went. 




I love barges - they're like the semi trucks of the sea.




About an hour into our ride we spotted Navarre Beach in the distance.







Not long after passing Navarre we could see Pensacola Beach ahead. 







Under the Bob Sikes Bridge aka the Pensacola Beach Bridge we went


And headed straight for Mom's. 



Dad's bright orange kayak serves as a great landmark.


It took us 2 hours and 11 minutes to get there and when we arrived I was driven around by my cousin the Pie Lady in her golf cart - which made getting around with a broken toe SO much easier. 

Dad cooked hamburgers and hot dogs and after we filled up on watermelon. 



We left about 6, knowing that we had a long ride and even though we still had a half a tank of gas, the Island King wanted to fill up at the marina on Pensacola Beach. 




We topped off the gas tank and headed under the bridge - homeward bound. 


It was a beautiful day and a nice, relaxing ride but I will say it was a long ride home. 


We got back to the dock about 9, salty and tired but glad we made the trip. 

Now I'm ready to head East on the Intracoastal and see what we see in that direction. A day spent on the water is a day well spent - no matter where you go.

Labels: