Christmas Day

We woke up Christmas Morning and headed over to my MIL's house to spend the day with her and my BIL's family.


My BIL smoked a pork butt and we had a good old fashioned BBQ dinner. Which was delicious.

Everyone opened their presents and after we ate my MIL made an announcement.

She's got a GIANT piggy bank that she has been putting her change in for 19 years and she decided it was time to empty the bank.

She called the grandkids to the dining room table and told them that anyone who sat and counted it could have it.


The Youngest Island Boy had to work so he wasn't there and his brother and sister both agreed to count his share for him.

My niece, KW, also jumped up and took a seat at the table to claim her share.


My other niece and my nephew showed no interest at all which actually made the Oldest Island Boy, the Island Girl and KW very happy because that meant a four way split instead of splitting it six ways.

Mounds and mounds of change poured onto the table and while the kids were counting it my MIL asked if this was better than letting them smash a GingerbreadHouse.

Yes, this was MUCH less disturbing – and fun to watch.

It took almost two hours for them to count all of the change and I swear I've never seen them concentrate on something so hard.



In the end, there was almost $600 dollars in change – which meant each kid got about $150.

Later that night, when the Youngest got home from work we handed him the presents from that day and after he finished unwrapping them the Oldest told him there was one more surprise.

He went to his room and came back carrying the Youngest's bag of change.

The look on the Youngest's face was priceless. $150 dollars in change takes up an entire large Ziploc bag and weighs a ton so when the Oldest dropped it in his lap I thought the Youngest was going to fall over.


He was sorry he had to work on Christmas Day but seeing that bag of money made him really happy. 

Sadly, my back was hurting so I didn't take many pictures but we really had a wonderful day. 

Labels: