The Day After Christmas

Because my sister and her family spent Christmas Eve in New Orleans she wanted to do a family Christmas at her house the day after Christmas.

The Youngest had to work, again, and the Island King had a photo shoot that morning so as soon as he got back from his shoot we loaded the car and drove to Perdido Key.



My parents, Aunt and Uncle and lots of extended family were there and even though my sister looked exhausted we had a really good time.

My BIL smoked a prime rib and my Dad brought a turkey so we had another delicious dinner.

After dinner my sister and I were sitting at the table and when it was time to open presents my Aunt brought us matching boxes.

We opened them to find this.


Hmm. So my sister gets alcohol and I get lotion. Does that mean she's a drunk and I'm scaly? A few minutes later my Aunt handed me another box that looked just like the first one and I was sure there was rum in there.

Just as I started to open it she grabbed it and said “I messed up – this one is for your sister”

My name was written clearly on the tag but she insisted that was a mistake.

So my sister opened the present and it contained a bottle of lotion like the one I got.

Which gave us both a good laugh because she's a drunk AND she's scaly.

The Oldest Island Boy said later that watching me and my sister sitting there whispering and laughing made him laugh because even though he couldn't hear what we were saying he's sure we were making inappropriate remarks.

I will neither confirm nor deny that but I can tell you that no one makes me laugh as hard as my sister does.

He wanted to know what we were talking about but I told him that I can't say because not everyone has the same sense of humor that we do.

Which prompted the Island Girl to tell me that I should pull a Jackie O move and write a book which is not to be released until I'm dead. That way my kids can enjoy mine and my sister's humor without me having to worry about making anyone mad.

It's not a bad idea because there are some stories that my mother would KILL me for repeating but that are absolutely hilarious.

My sister and her family were tired from their trip and my BIL had to be at work early the next morning so everyone packed up and left pretty early.

But, just as everyone was getting ready to leave my Mom decided she wanted a boatload of pictures of everyone in front of the tree.

We were wrangling kids and people were trying to load their cars so it was extremely chaotic. At one point I was posing for a picture with Mom and my sister and I was laughing at the chaos and said under my breath that I was having trouble maintaining with all of the hullabaloo. My Mom asked what I'd just said and my BIL's sister said “She says she needs drugs!” and then snapped the picture.

The look on Mom's face cracks me up because it's a combination of a “smile for the camera” and “is she serious?”







We may have been in the car longer than we were at her house but I can tell you it was worth every minute of it.

Labels: