No Lesson Learned Here

Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion that the Youngest Island Boy has not learned the lesson he should have.

He's always been fascinated with fire but I thought this whole burned hand incident had cured him. I mean the kid has a serious 2nd degree burn covering his entire thumb and 1st degree burns on his index finger and halfway up his forearm so you'd think he'd want to stay as far away from fire as possible.

But no.

He got up on the 3rd day after burning his hand and the first words out of his mouth were "How old do you have to be to have a lighter?" I asked why he wanted to know that and he told me that he just wants to have his own lighter.

Well that's scary.

Two days later we were at the Dollar Store and I bought the boys some of those Pop-It things that you throw on the ground and they make a popping sound. About 2 hours later I was in the kitchen when he came in, got some paper towels and scissors, sat down at the bar and started cutting the paper towels into small squares.

I watched, wondering what he was going to do and when he finished he looked up at me and said "Ok, does Dad have any gunpowder?" Gunpowder? What in the world does the boy want with gunpowder?

He tells me that he thinks the stuff inside the Pop-Its is gunpowder and that's why they pop when they hit the ground. But he's used up all of his Pop-Its so he needs to make some more and he can do that by pouring a little gunpowder into these paper towel squares he's made.

I made it real clear that he didn't need any gunpowder for anything anytime soon and then made the Island King have a long talk with him about gunpowder and blowing things up - which I hope wasn't a mistake since his father is a known pyromaniac and has almost blown himself up on more than one occasion.

This afternoon we were driving along and the Youngest and the Island King were talking about finding straight sticks to make walking sticks out of. The Island King says they need to find good straight sticks and the Youngest tells him that he knows how to straighten a crooked stick.

The Island King says he wants to hear what the Youngest knows so the Youngest says
"You start by making a fire..."

Good grief! I looked at the Island King and asked him why most of our son's sentences start with "You need to make a fire" He laughed and said "It's like most of our recipes starting with "You need to fry a pound of bacon" LOL

So while the boy is running around with a bandaged hand, he's still thinking of ways to make a fire.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the barn with Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

Labels: