It's Tower Camp Time!

We don't spend any time up at Tower Camp in the summer.

We're right here on the beach and the idea of spending time deep in the woods, with more gnats than you can imagine and NO breeze whatsoever, is not appealing.

But, as soon as we get our first cool snap we're there.

And with the cool spell we had last week we decided to go up and spend the day on Friday. It's more fun to spend the night but even just a day trip is fun and always good for my soul.

And on this particular trip we had a plan.

A plan to shoot the pumpkins we carved for Halloween.


The Island King bought a new "high powered, super duper" weed eater so he brought it to knock back some of the summer growth.

I thought he meant he was going to clear a small space for the day but because he has this new toy he went to weed eating and I didn't think he was ever going to stop.


The clearing is huge




And normally we bring mowers and weed eaters and lots of helpers up when it cools off and have a work day, clearing the summer brush and preparing the camp for our winter visits.

But he just kept going and going and I was just about to stop him and point out that this is a big field and it would be better to to clear it next time - with a mower, when he stopped and declared himself done.

He jumped in his truck, started to back it up to the firing range and ran right smack over one of the coolers.




Oh well, once we eat those sandwiches we'll have another target to shoot.

After he recovered from clearing half the field with the weed eater and the boys returned from checking out the creek it was time for the real fun to start.

We pegged cans with the 22 rifle, shot targets with the 38 revolver and then went to town on the pumpkins with the 38 and a 12 gauge shotgun.






Even though the shotgun does this to the Youngest Island Boy


He shows right back up to do it again.

I have to say I was really disappointed with the pumpkin shooting.

I pictured pumpkin chunks blowing all over the place but it took 4 rounds from the shotgun to really destroy the pumpkin.



And even that didn't send pumpkin chunks everywhere.

I'm now researching Tannerite because I really want to blow something up. I would actually like an explosion with fire but the Island King seems to be frowning on that idea.

Which is really odd, him being a confirmed pyromaniac and all.

I will say that even though pumpkin chunks didn't go a flyin', the exit holes from the 38 and the 20 gauge were pretty impressive.

We shot up all of our ammo and built a fire just about dark.


My sons could sit and play with fire all night long - even the one who almost burnt his hand off a few years ago.

We were sitting there and at some point just after dark I fell asleep.

I vaguely remember getting into the truck but then didn't wake up until we got home.

I knew a day in the woods would relax me.

Now, I'm ready to go back soon and spend a few days.

Oh, and I want to blow something up while I'm there.

Labels: